One of the ‘before’ photos of my livingroom remodel project popped up in my memories on facebook recently and it was really fun to remember starting my crazy remodel project. I tend to always think about what project I want to do next, and get discouraged that I can’t afford everything I want at this very moment. Its easy to forget about how much work I have put into my home, and the fact that I sacrificed a lot to invest in it and pay off my mortgage. Even if its still a work in progress, it’s still something I am really proud of.
I don’t think I’ve ever shared where my home started when I bought it, so here’s a little trip down memory lane:
One of the biggest projects I took on when I bought my home was fixing the yard and landscaping. The lawn was dead and filled with weeds, and the gardens were overgrown. This was simply not up to Style & the Suburbs standards– after all, you don’t move to the suburbs to have the worst lawn on the block!
One of the first projects I did after purchasing my home was to refinish the bathroom tile. I don’t think I’ve ever written about this, but it was a pretty involved project that might be beyond your typical DIY.
My bathroom had lovely 1950’s green and yellow tile, that I just couldn’t live with. The tile itself was in great condition so it would’ve been a shame to just rip it all out because of the color. We found a Rustoleum tub and tile refinisher that was only $25 and decided to give it a try.
My latest DIY project has been remodeling my home office / guest bedroom. The biggest part of the project was removing the popcorn texture from the ceilings, but I also wanted to take the time to freshen up the room and make it more functional.
As I mentioned before, the next room on my great popcorn ceiling texture removal project is the guest bedroom. Since removing the popcorn involves painting the ceiling and touching up the walls, I’ve decided to also update the entire room.
One of the first projects I did when I bought my house was fixing up the lawn and landscaping. When I bought the house, the front garden was pretty overgrown with large pine bushes that just looked dated and messy. My goal for the project was to visually clean up the space, add some more color, and make it easier to maintain.