In my last bathroom remodel update, I shared that we had redone the walls and installed the new mirror. The next step was to remove the old vanity and get ready to install the new one! What we thought would be an easy, one day project, ended up being quite a lot of work!
The old vanity top had been stuck to the wall so well, that it was impossible to get off. We ended up removing the vanity first, and then pushing the top down to detach it from the wall. The backsplash and sidesplash pieces had to be chiseled off the wall, and ended up pulling some of the old tile off in the process. It was quite the mess, but it had to be done.
When I first bought my house, I used an epoxy tile paint to resurface the tiles from yellow to white. We were planning on doing a new coat of the paint anyways, so we just had to take an extra day filling in the holes with new tiles before painting them all. In order to prep for the resurfacing, I sanded the old paint and new tiles really well, and then my dad used an air compressor paint gun to spray it all. The finish turned out perfect and we were able to keep moving with the project.
After dry fitting the vanity and the top, we realized the bathroom walls weren’t perfectly straight. We left an extra 0.5 on the pieces of the vanity that touched the walls to account for this, so we just had to do some sanding to scribe it to the wall. By the time we were done, we had a really good fit.
Once the vanity fit, we attached it to the tile wall with 2 screws. This will prevent it from ever pulling away from the wall or tipping forward. We had to get a special drill bit to drill into the tile and it ended up being really easy to drill through.
It was finally time to attach the vanity top! I don’t like the look of backsplashes on bathroom counters, so I decided not to have one. The only downside is if your walls aren’t perfectly square—then your top won’t sit perfectly flush to the wall. When I ordered my kitchen counter tops, they actually use a laser measurement system to scribe your counter to your exact walls so that there won’t be any gaps. They don’t do this for a small bathroom top, which is why they often do the backsplash and sidesplash so you don’t see any gaps. Thankfully, my top fit just close enough that any gaps would be covered with a caulk line.
Once the top was attached to the vanity with silicone, we left it for 24 hours to dry. The next step was to attach the faucet and redo the plumbing. The plumbing was easy and just had to be attached to the old lines. I love my new faucet!
The final stage of the bathroom remodel will be installing the new tile floor! We decided we want tile up to the vanity to hide some gaps in the current uneven floor, so that is why we put the vanity in first. I can’t wait to finish this last part of the project!