When life becomes busy and it feels like you are only home to sleep some days, it’s hard to stay on top of organization and feel like you’re getting ahead. I’ve found that the more I simplify and the more time I invest in organizing my life, the more free time I have to enjoy and relax.
Every weekend, I set aside an hour or so to fully prepare for the week– I pack my breakfasts, snacks, and lunches, I plan work outfits, workout outfits, and pack bags for after work activities. It seems excessive, but it really helps during the week when I can just get up and go in the morning and I’m also not scrambling to prepare each night.
I also try to take a little time each week to simplify– whether it is cleaning out the fridge, organizing a junk drawer, or cleaning out the linen closet. 20 minutes spent on any one of these tasks makes for an easier day to day routine. Need sunscreen? It’s in the sunscreen bin! Need a towel? They’re neatly stacked and the pile won’t collapse on you!
Here are my top tips for taking time to simply your life:
- Unsubscribe from junk mail by calling the post office to be removed from ads and frequent offenders (hi Comcast).
- Unsubscribe from email distro lists as emails come in.
- Start a box of donate items and add to it each time you redecorate or switch your wardrobe for a new season.
- Before buying something, wait 24 hours to decide if you still want it.
- Instead of giving physical gifts to family members, give experiences instead.
- Say no to a commitment that you don’t value and don’t feel guilty about it.
- Set a chore schedule to ensure essentials like laundry get done.
- Meal plan before you go to the grocery store.
- Stick to your grocery list.
- Set aside time on Sunday to meal prep for the week.
- Ditch your cluttered tupperware and invest in glass food storage containers.
- Clean out your fridge and cupboards to get rid of old food
- Set aside time on the weekend to plan outfits for the week and hang them in the front of your closet.
- Make a to-do list and follow it before you begin something else.
- Invest in home organization so everything has a place.
- Turn off push notifications on your phone from apps and emails.
- Clean out old photos and apps from your phone.
- Get rid of beauty products that you don’t use, they’re probably too old to use now anyways.
- Set aside time for physical activity every day.
- Buy birthday and thank you cards in bulk. Use them often.
My advice for simplifying your life would be to try one or two of these at a time and slowly check them off. You don’t need to do it all overnight, but slowly build the habits to see a difference over time.
I’d love to know how it goes if you try any of them!