DIY Pressed Flower Art

I recently came across a really pretty pressed flower artwork on pinterest. I loved the simplicity but color pops of the flowers, and I’m always looking for ways to bring real artwork into my home. I thought it would be a fun project to do myself!


As I was cleaning out my garden for fall, I saved a few of each flower in an array of pretty colors. To press them, I laid out my large bread board on the kitchen floor (you could use any hard, flat surface. I then covered it with the recycled shipping paper that comes in shipping boxes. You can also use wax paper or any kind of tissue paper– the key is that the paper takes the moisture out of the flowers.

I then laid out the flowers so none of them were touching each other. It is best if they are as dry as possible before pressing, so its best not to cut them after its rained. I then added a few layers of the shipping tissue paper on top of the flowers, and gently placed large books on top of them (finally a use for my college textbooks!).

DIY Pressed Flower Art | Style & the SuburbsIMG_8104

Being super impatient, I took a peek the next day to see how the flowers had flattened out. When you put the books down on them, its hard to know exactly how they will flatten, but they actually looked really good. Since the flowers are naturally so pretty, I guess its hard to mess up!

DIY Pressed Flower Art | Style & the Suburbs

I did notice moisture in the paper, so I switched it out for fresh sheets. The key is to wait for all of the moisture to be gone in the flowers, which can take a couple of weeks. I did have the heat on in my house, which helped create a dryer condition. I checked back every few days to change the paper and see how they were looking (because I’m that impatient!!).

After 2 weeks, they were dry to the touch and ready to be framed. I used an all white frame with a white backer paper for the best color pop and spent some time arranging the flowers how I wanted. If your frame isn’t going to press the flowers tight, I would recommend adding a dab of glue to the back of each stem and letting it dry before putting in the frame to make sure it doesn’t shift (mine ended up shifting a lot and it was a pain!). Live and learn!






Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s