One of my favorite rooms in my house is my home gym that I created as a part of my basement remodel. It has become one of the most used rooms in my house and helps me stay healthy during the freezing Minnesota winters. I thought I’d share some of the essentials to get you started on your very own home gym!
1. Yoga Mat / Training Mat: This is the foundation of most workouts (not just yoga!). It protects your floor and gives you a nice surface to hold those planks. Any old yoga mat will do, but I’ve been eyeing nicer Nike training mats for a while.
2. Yoga Ball: Great for stretches and other weight lifting exercises. I finally found one on sale at Target!
3. Hand Weights: I started with 2 pound weights and have slowly added to my collection as I’ve gotten stronger! You can find them at most fitness retailers.
4. Foam Roller: These are great for workouts (google it!) and for working on sore muscles. There are a lot of great inexpensive options out there– like this one from Target!
5. TV: This seems counter-productive but its really handy to have a TV for a little distraction during your workouts. This way you can include fitness DVD’s into your workout or just make the time pass faster. I try to commit to working out while watching the news every night and it helps me stick to my routine.
Bonus Splurge: A Treadmill. There are a wide variety of treadmills out there (from not so nice to really nice). Treadmill running or walking isn’t the most fun activity in the world but is a nice option to get cardio in when the weather isn’t cooperating. It’s also really easy to find cheap or even free treadmills on Craigslist or neighbhood websites so if you’re intested in one, keep looking until you can find a deal! My treadmill isn’t one of the nicest out there but does the job!