This week is the first day of spring, which means the busy summer is just around the corner! Now is a great time to take inventory of your house and declutter your space. Keeping only the essentials and items you use the most helps your home clean and save time. Here are some of my favorite ways to declutter in a short amount of time:
1. The shampoo graveyard of half empty bottles in your bathroom: put them in order of how empty they are and use them. Once it’s gone, toss it and move on to the next most empty. You paid for them, and probably paid a lot for them– now get your money’s worth!
2. Old prom dresses, formal dresses, bridesmaid dresses: sell them on an app like Poshmark or Threadup or donate. Find a charity that donates formal dresses to those who can’t buy them for prom.
3. Bathroom and kitchen towels: how many do you really need? Which should move on to retirement as garage rags?
4. Travel and sample size toiletries and makeup– use it, toss it, or donate it. Many shelters and food shelves take new items to give to people in need.
5. Cleaning supplies: sort them by type and use until the bottle is empty or find a proper waste center and get rid of it!
6. Shoes, boots, scarves, winter jackets: which didn’t you touch this winter? Sell them on an app or donate.
7. Sweaters and winter clothes: see above!
8. Swimsuits that haven’t seen the light of day in the last year? Toss em.
9. What’s hidden in the back of your pantry? Maybe a cereal box from at least 4 years ago? (Sorry Adrian Peterson).
10. Don’t even get me started on your freezer! Clean. Toss. Organize in plastic bins by food type to keep it tidy!
Don’t you feel better already!?